Re: (erielack) M&E/Rahway Valley News

- --- "TIMOTHY O. STUY" <njmidland_@_compuserve.com> wrote:
> From ProgressiveRailroading.com
>
> Morristown & Erie Railway Inc. (M&E) recently filed an application with
> Surface Transportation Board to rehabilitate and operate certain lines
> owned by Union County, N.J.
>
> The 42-mile short line plans to activate the lines in four phases: (1)
> former Staten Island Railway Corp. lines in Linden; (2) former Staten
> Island Railway lines in Cranford; (3) a former Rahway Valley Railroad
Co.
> Cranford-to-Union mainline; and (4) a former Rahway Valley
> Union-to-Summit mainline.
>
> M&E and the county May 9 reached a 10-year operating agreement, under
> which M&E will rehabilitate Phase 1 and 2 lines (except for a specified
> limitation in Phase 2), and initiate rail service within six months.
>
> M&E wouldn't begin rehabilitating or servicing Phase 3 lines until it
> receives the county's written concurrence, at which time the short line
> would be required to initiate service within nine months. M&E and the
> county in the future would have to agree on a timetable for the Phase 4
> line.
>
> Pending STB approval, M&E would interchange traffic with Conrail,
> Norfolk Southern Railway and CSX Transportation at Cranford, Linden and
> Bound Brook, N.J., and provide through service by exercising its right
> operate over New Jersey Transit's line at Cranford Junction.
>
> -------
>
> Question:  when was the last time that the Rahway Valley interchanged
> with the EL at Summit?
> Is the RV right of way to Summit intact?  I though a bridge had been
> removed.

It's been a LOOOOONG time; I don't know when.

Yes, the first bridge east of Summit station was removed a number of years
ago to increase clearance; the bridge was something like 12 feet above the
road.  The rest of the line is 'intact' since it's at grade level but
there have been some encroachments such as dislodged rails and parking
lots built over the r-o-w.

Part of this plan is obviously linked with reopening the Arthur Kill
bridge and service to the container terminals.  If M&E gets the contract
for that, other work in that area (on the NJ side) is inexpensive because
they already have engines and people assigned to work there.  A wise move
by the M&E...

I have also heard that NJT is behind this restoration; they see it as a
way to move equipment from the Raritan Valley Line to the Morristown Line
on its way to the Meadowlands Maintenance Center.  Apparently NJT pays
AMTRAK for moves between the Newark Division and the MMC; going over the
Rahway Valley and ex-DLW via Summit would avoid these costs.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey