Re: (erielack) M&E/Rahway Valley News

Actually the original Dewitt intermodal terminal was outside the yard, on
the end of an industrial lead that fed into a remnant of the original
passenger mainline through the streets of Syracuse.   For a long time jobs
would have a main track tied up with a fleet signal so they could work the
terminal.  The loader was small, like a large rubber-tire payloader but with
a lift that could grab the container tops instead.  The space was once an
engine terminal, part of the coal dock remains and some other structures
were built so loading room was fairly tight.

They did eventually move it to a larger space in the yard's hump lead and
inbound receiving tracks, with a large overhead crane... but they also were
doing a lot of local work and had trains that originated and terminated
here.

To duplicate that operation I would think would be cheap if you had the
land, an empty yard like Bevier Street on the D&H would work - just dedicate
a track, pave around it, and get a loader in there.   The old Dewitt
facility wasn't and isn't even fenced in.  You could probably even work it
into a space along the DL&W main somewhere, if it was wide enough for say 6
tracks somewhere for a hundred yards or so.   Handle some local traffic with
it and probably could get funds to help pay for it to boot.  A train headed
through the filet could pick up enough empty cars somewhere to split it out,
and pull through getting the tops picked off, then loaded in the empties.
Put a fresh crew on and send it on it's way -

Bill K.