(erielack) Bingo East, etc.

I see history repeating itself. If the regionals are smart, they will figure
out how to work together and compete with NS, CSX, etc. It's not impossible.
And the routes south and southeast (PA and NJ) in my opinion, all go via
Scranton.

Once the Cutoff is back in service, the rest is history. The Cutoff will make
NJTransit a player when it comes to hauling people. Of the three commuter
railroads (LIRR, NJTransit, MetroNorth), NJTransit is the strongest in the
region when it comes to passengers. LIRR is not a player in this. However,
NJTransit and MetroNorth know how to do it and they do it well, NJT
especially. I've ridden commuter railroads in various parts of the country
and in my opinion, NJTransit is the best. Los Angeles' MetroLink isn't far
behind but is much smaller and they are growing, but that's another story and
isn't EL related.

NS would be stupid to give up the Southern Tier because if the regionals have
enough cash to put together, there will be competition that NS doesn't want.
I don't think the Southern Tier will become a "bike trail" simply because I
see history repeating itself. There is business between Bingo and Port
Jervis, not much, but it does exist. Perhaps not as much as going via
Scranton, but it is there.

Someone recently said that a state-funded railroad cannot cross a state line.
Well, NJTransit operates MetroNorth trains on the Port Jervis line. Yes it is
done and can be done when the Cutoff is back in place. If not, perhaps we'll
see the NEPTA version of SEPTA. I don't know the agreement between NJT and
MetroNorth, but it does exist.

Commuter rails aside, I see history repeating itself and I see the regionals
getting together (if they have the cash) providing freight service via
Scranton to the south and southeastern part of the region. NYSW, you have
work to do. Be careful of the little guys biting at your butt. NYSW is the
largest regional so work with the little guys.

Rick

End of EL List Daily V3 #614