FW: FW: (erielack) Bingo East, etc.

More good stuff from Ed...

- -----Original Message-----
From: MONTGOMERY| ED [mailto:emontgom_@_lan.tjhsst.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: FW: (erielack) Bingo East, etc.

One addition piece of information.

When the roof caved in on the Nicholson Tunnel, EL started
running freights on the Erie side again.  By this time a lot of it was
single tracked.  Apparently the ABS semaphore system was left in
place on the track that was in service.  I can't remember whether it
was the east or westbound one.  However train orders had to be
written for trains running in the opposite direction on that track.
One of the books I have shows the station at Deposit.  It was
reopened as a train order office to handle the extra traffic.  EL has
mounted what looked like grade crossing flasher units rather than
train order semaphores on the side of the station, one above the
other at roof level, with probably a red or green lens to advise crews
of the movement they would be given.  I suppose radio
communications may not have been that great in that area or EL's
system wasn't designed to handle track warrents there.   Does
anyone have further information on this and how trains were moved
on the Delaware Divison at that time?

Ed