Re: (erielack) Erie/DL&W Main in NYS

The section between the Binghamton station and approximately the Old Vestal
Road overpass is still in service as the Johnson Running Track as far as CP
Johnson, and west of there it's the Vestal Spur. The former NYSEG Goudy
station in Johnson City, now owned by AES, receives coal; National Pipe and
Plastic in Vestal receives covered hoppers of plastic pellets.

The line from end of track to African road has been removed, and is
presently unoccupied. From African Road-it's behind Wal Mart and the new Old
Navy-to Main Street, the road that crosses the bridge into Endicott, is now
the Lackawanna Rail Trail, and is quite popular. This was done by the Newman
Group, who built the Town Square Mall and the Old Navy, as part of the
project to build the latter plaza, as a condition of their permit to build.
Rail was still in place on this line until about four years ago.

At the point where the trail ends, NY 17(it's the Southern Tier Expressway,
not the Thruway, which more closely follows the NYC) picks up the ROW and
runs on it til Waverly. The station at Apalachin, which now houses a Subway
and an ice cream shop, after  being unocupied for many years, still stands
between NY 17 and 434. Also still standing are the freight house and station
in Nichols, which appears to have been a bar or restaurant in its last
incarnation, though I think it's now out of business-I don't get there very
much. Nichols was served til 1965 from Waverly; an Agway mill was the reason
for this section of the DL&W's continued existence. As a side note, there's
no evidence of the junction with the Ithaca branch or the bridge at Owego,
though there are remnants of the ROW in the village of Owego, as well as
along NY 96 and 96B going up as far as the turn off to White Church.

West of Waverly, there is still evidence of the ROW visible along the road
from Athens to Wilawanna, Pa. It's easier to find if you follow the line
from Wilawanna, which is NY 17 exit 59A. Go south, then turn on the road to
Athens. The ROW is on the south side of the road.

From there west through Chemung, the ROW has been built over by the highway,
but from about the point where NY 17 drops to 55 mph, it is once again
visible on the left side of the highway if you're westbound, though not in
continuous view because of elevation differnces. Approaching Elmira, you'll
see a truss bridge off to your left, which is the end of track in the Elmira
area. It is occasionally used as a switching lead to Kennedy Valve. The
track goes back into town, where it connects with the ex Erie yard. I
believe there is also some DL&W track in use on the north side of the city,
or in Elmira Heights. I'm not sure what is left at the Holding Point, or if
any of the ROW still exists into that location.

The ROW is still in place through Big Flats, though it has been obliterated
in some places. I recall seeing a feed mill with cars spotted in that area,
so there may still be parts of it in service.

The Southern Tier Line through Gibson, ironically, is on the DL&W alignment.
The project that put the NY 17 Corning Bypass in place resulted in some
major relocation there. The railroad was placed on the DL&W alignment, the
highway was put roughly on the Erie alignment. Of course, a two track
railroad and a four lane highway built to Interstate standards take up much
more space than a four track railroad, so the river also had to be moved to
make room, and it was. The channel was redirected, giving you the
arrangement in place today. If you go to the location of the 1951 Erie
station-it is/was(I'm not sure if it's been demolished) at the location of
CP Corning-you can see where the DL&W main parted ways with the Erie.

I wasn't there at the time, so someone who knows better please correct me,
but I'm guessing the Erie's double track ABS main line was superior to the
DL's, and may have had more on line business.

Tom B