RE: (erielack) Re: [AnthraciteRR] Re: DL&W SIGNAL ASPECTS

Dlw1el2_@_aol.com wrote:

>I was fortunate to have worked on the line with some great Conductors and
>Engineers who would make a science of meets. By watching when the opposing
>train set the yellow either on the signal one block before the meet,
>approaching the meet, or at the far end of the passing siding, would
>determine if you backed in, (NOT COPASETIC BY THE RULE BOOK), or you pulled
>in. They would have this down to within seconds on which way to proceed. This
>was calculating down to within 30 seconds exactly how long it would take to
>reach the siding, and the time you would need to make all the necessary moves
>at the siding.

I almost followed all that.

Just one thing...what was the advantage of backing into the siding?  I can't see why anyone would be tempted to do that.

Jeff Larson
ELHS #2783

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_@_Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

End of EL List Daily V3 #621