(erielack) Beginnings of Mergers

I know this topic has been discussed in one form or another in the past and
if what I'm asking has been done, accept my apologies.

Going back to the dawn of the merger era, just before Virginian-N&W, I'm
curious to know what everyone thinks could have been better combinations than
what eventually evolved, including EL. For example, would DLW been better off
joining with NKP, Erie with D&H, B&M, and NYO&W with anyone for example?
These are just examples and again, if this topic has been discussed in this
form, please accept my apologies.

Rick