RE: (erielack) Croxton and Port Morris

> While taking a walk to Dover yard today I noticed a NS 60 Box
> car former EL.  The car was bad ordered for a few things as
> well as in bold letters "old Age" send to Croxton.

Scott - where was this car?!? I live in the area and would love to see it...

> I was
> wondering how important is Croxton to NS as well as how
> important it was for the EL?

Croxton is fairly imporant to NS, as it is their major NYC area yard. It was CRITICALLY IMPORTANT for the EL, as virtually all their west-to-east traffic terminated there.

> How busy was Port Morris to EL ? Does anyone know off hand
> the amount off traffic it saw from 1965-1975 ?

Port Morris, in some photos I have, seems to have died as a major yard by the early 1960s. By the mid-to-late 1960s, the "yard" consisted of 2-3 tracks and was undermaintained. Part of its downfall was the lack of L&HR bridge traffic; other factors included alternate freight routings as part of the EL merger.

	- Paul