Re: (erielack) The " Brown " Truck

The 'UPS 'truck design  is patented by Grumman, who are contracted to use
that body style only for UPS.  It is the BROWN truck that is licensed...you
can by a model of the truck, as long as the color in no way resembles UPS's
brown (which is also trademarked! Trademark a single color? anal!)

By the way, if you are a UPS employee, you CAN by a 1:50 model of the truck,
right from UPS!

I'll never understand their fixation with the logo and color scheme, short
of the 'instant recognizability' of the service mark.

 Retired UPS trucks are sold for scrap, and are to be crushed, although some
have been sold to municipalities for emergency service uses, albeit with the
brown paint stripped first. For a time, there were decal manufacturers who
made decals that could be cut and pasted to reproduce the logo. When the
courts told UPS that they wouldn't order a stop to that, UPS bought the
rights to the decals from the manufacturer in order to keep them off the
market.

They are going to have a real problem protecting the design of the new vans,
though. I rather doubt that Ford will agree to a captive design. In Europe,
DHL and FedEx already use the same model van.

It would be nice if the EL logo and name were in the public domain...but
I'll bet that DavidJMdeV has already examined that option!

Down off of my (not UPS brown) soapbox now!

Bill G