RE: (erielack) O&W Revenue Equipment

Paul wrote...
The "Trackside with Bob Malinoski" Morning Sun Book has excellent shots of
the FT's *and* O&W wood cabooses stored in Croxton. By 1957, I don't think
the O&W had *any* revenue rolling stock left (correct me if I'm wrong here!)

***  That's right, a large group of the cabooses ended up stored at
Croxton... but why did Erie end up with them? Didn't they burn them and
harvest the metal for scrap? How much did Erie have invested in the NYO&W at
the end? Was this a small gesture to offset the loss?

>    I am sure by 1957 the O&W had shed itself of most of it's dormant
> equipment. I have never seen a photo of an O&W steel boxcar!
> Did they even
> own one?

I don't think so; I believe they only had wooden boxcars...

> What kind of NYO&W  rolling stock would you spot in
> an Erie freight
> consist say 1950's era?

I'd be willing to bet "nothing."

*** So O&W paid offline roads fees to utilize their rolling stock to serve
O&W customers? Cheaper than maintaining a fleet I guess. But expensive for
online customers I bet! Were the surviving wood boxcars up to AAR standards
by the 50's, available for interchange? I know after a certain date anything
with Arch Bar (Or Fox) trucks were captive to the home road that owned
them... someone correct me if I am wrong.