(erielack) Amtrak Comment

You are correct. Media will report because that's their job and this is news.
Big news. It makes people tune in to see what happened or "what's up".

Print media, especially in the local Baltimore-Washington market will play it
up big time because the derailment happened in their back yard. Does it hurt
projects such as the Cut-Off. It could and might if rail proponents remain
silent.

Bottom line is that the anti-rail people will use this one more time to their
advantage, i.e., they won't give up literally 1 cent of the gasoline tax to
go towards the rails. It's just another excuse to keep funding only to the
roads and airports.

They also know that if there is ever an even playing field, rails will rule
because they are environmentally friendly, can be cost efficient and can get
the job done. But only if there's an even playing field.

Believe me, I know. I live in Manhattan and to get to my house in Scranton, I
must take a commuter bus via I80 to I380. Nothing but trafffic during rush
hour, especially on a Friday and returning on a Sunday. Living in Manhattan,
thank God, I don't need a car, but that makes me a slave to the commuter bus.

As I sit on that God-forsaken bus in traffic at the Delaware Water Gap, I see
the rails across the Delaware River and say to myself, "What the %%% am I
doing? There is no reason for this but apparently there is. The reson is
those who don't want competition from the rails.

Thus, they use the Amtrak derailment (freight railroads included) to make a
case as to why people shouldn't ride the rails.

With Northwest NJ-Poconos-Scranton soon to become the fourth commuter
railroad in the NYC Metropolitain area, I have one thing to say: "We need and
will have our trains".

We all (hopefully) vote and that is our strength. I am politically involved
here in Manhattan. After my last "commuter bus ride" to Scranton, I've had
it.

Pressure must be put on the politicians, regardless of political affiliation.
The money is there. Now expidite the bucks and get the damn job done.

Rick