Re: (erielack) Lackawanna Passenger Trains

Two things should be remembered that first the Vanderbilt's put a member on
the LACKAWANNA's Board in the early 1900's and through this position and
ownership of "several" 1000 shares of DL stock, they mandated that no DL
train would operate between 'oboken & Buffalo faster than any NYC schedule!

Second. most trains, except #3 & 6, did heavy head end work at most
stations. I can remember at Dansville, NY, in the late 50's sticking #10 for
20-25 minutes loading Railway Express trees wrapped from Kelly Brothers
Nursery, storage mail, and then the two doors for the RPO car. With
Dansville showing no arrival time for #10 in the timetables, it only listed
its departure time, your "padding" came into play, and sometimes #10, with
Dansville as its third stop from Buffalo (B&O Junction for the LeRoy, NY
mail first, and Mt. Morris second which was a rather large regional mail
departure schedule to begin its nightly mail and express loading.

As a 16 year old I used to back down the baggage cart past the storage &
Railway Express cars to the RPO car, and then the mail & express trucks
would back up to the train and begin their loading.

A question which I have is this: at each end of the cart I had a stack of
small lite mail bags, I would knock on the first door, it would slide open
and a visor wearing-gun carrying man with an leather apron would slide open
the door & say: "what have yea got for me kid?" and the I would exchange my
bags ( from the east end of the cart) for his bags, placing them at the east
end of the cart, and then I would push the cart down to the west door of the
car and repeat the exchange of mail bags from the west end of my cart.  I
know I was handling first class mail, but why did I deliver & receive from
two different doors?

Regards David MV