(erielack) DL&W Records

Has anyone actually seen what kind of DL&W records are at Syracuse U, aside
teh the photos collection?

After working in the Colorado Railraod Museum Library I learned a lot about
railroad record keeping. Much of this was dictated by the ICC format for
accounting.

For intance the Library has thousands of D&RGW "AFE"  folders. AFE mean
authorization for expenditure, in other industries it would be called a request for
capital expenditure. This is in contrast to operational expense such as
labor, fuel, repair parts, and so on. Every time a structure was built there was an
AFE, often having drawings of the project attached. Track relocations,
abandonments, installation of industrial sidings, and demolition of buildings are
also on AFEs. The demoition and tearing up abandoned routes was done with AFEs
because these items had to be taken off the capital account.

Another invaluable source of information are the complete set of D&RGW 1920
valuation maps. These show evey foot of track on the system complete with
structure, bridges, etc.

Just wonder if this kind of stuff might be in Syracuse but no one ever looked
for it because (like me) they never heard of such records.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO