(erielack) Re: Camps Merritt & Shanks

I grew up in Leonia, NJ, and often drove by "The Monument" in Dumont
commemorating Camp Merritt. And I seem to think the Public Service (now
NJT) buses #54 (from Dumont to the West Shore terminal in Edgewater,)
and #166 (from Dumont to first, the Public Service terminal on 41st St.
between 7th and 8th Aves., and second, to the Port Authority bus
terminal) sometimes had route signs or cardboard windshield cards
reading "Merritt Gardens."
We often took car rides around no. Jersey and I barely remember my
father pointing out Camp Shanks to me with wooden, chain link, and
barbed wire fences. Even in the late 1950's when Nyack was the weekend
destination of many a Bergen county eighteen year old (NY drinking age
was 18, the rest of the country save 3.2 beer in VA was 21) we still saw
evidence of Camp Shanks and rail tracks entering the still quite
extensive property.

Tompkins Cove was the location of the northeast mothball fleet, with
many Liberty and Victory ships as well as an occasional small warship.
My aunt took my brother and me many times on the Hudson River Day Line
to Poughkeepsie and one thrill was seeing these gray ships. After the
Korean War, they were taken one or two at a time to the scrappers,
occasionally from the #166 on Boulevard East we would see a lonely tow
heading to the ship breakers.

Troop ships were loaded mainly at Bayonne and the Brooklyn Army
Terminal. My uncle was night manager of the St. George Hotel in Brooklyn
and coordinated Army dependents going to Germany, staying in Brooklyn
Heights hotels until they sailed on MSTS ships from Brooklyn Army
Terminal into about 1960 when jet transports became viable and ending
the passenger ships to Europe. The BAT is still there, being redeveloped
into civilian use, and it is next to the yards and docks of the
cross-bay rail service by car float. There was nothing at Tompkins Cove
to load anyone or anything, just moorings of what seemed like hundreds
of gray cargo ships.

A previous post detailed troop movements at Camp Merritt, and I remember
tracks entering Camp Shanks property. I doubt if the "piers" at the tip
of Piermont (and the Erie tracks) could have been used to load troop
ships, so I would guess troops were taken by train to Bayonne (which now
hosts Carnival Cruise Lines I believe!!!) or bus or truck to Brooklyn
Army Terminal. I can't imagine a troop train going Erie to Maybrook, New
Haven to Hell Gate Bridge, LIRR to Brooklyn Army Terminal. But I am sure
there were some strange train movements in WWII.
J. McEachen