(erielack) The Diamond

Listers:

I neglected to mention in my previous post that the
recent issue had two fab articles on the DL&W.  One
dealt with a wreck in the '20s on the original main in
W Jersey and the other on the DL&W's coal dock in
Buffalo.

Both topics were new to me (other than hearing the
basic fact that the dock in Buffalo existed)and I knew
nothing about them.  I found them to be interesting
and intriguing.  The political wrangling in Buffalo
over the dock was interesting, esp. when the RR
decided just to build over land on two occasions that
were owned by others (US gov't and a private
individual (who happened to be a member of Congress))
and let the fighting begin.

Again, this is what makes this publication (and
membership in the ELHS) and this list so special.
Here in the case of the two DL&W articles, we have two
individuals who thoroughly researched events in the
past (the coal dock article discussed events from the
1870's through the early 20th century) and gave us an
interesting story of both.  Although Mike didn't work
for the EL, he was able to give his personal
experiences witnessing the RR operations during the
60s and 70s.

Lets welcome and embrace everyone's contributions to
the list and printed publications.  From employees,
passengers, people who witnessed operations and those
who researched the past, they all add a valuable and
interesting perspective on the RR's we all are
interested in.

Regards,

Chris Thurner