(erielack) Moses Taylor Hospital

In July, there was a thread discussing Moses Taylor Hospital. Based on the information
presented in the August 1954 issue of Lackawanna Magazine and the discussion in the thread,
one would assume that the hospital was exclusively located in Scranton.

The hospital, however, had a branch located in Lackawanna, NY, adjacent to the Buffalo
city line, and named Moses Taylor Hospital. A newspaper article, which I came
across this week, indicates the branch was
opened for service on July 25, 1904. Its main purpose was to serve the Lackawanna
Steel Company plant. It was a three-story, 28-bed facility. Records show that between
1934 and 1951 4489 patients were admitted, 94,373 others were given outpatient
treatment and 17,238 major and minor operations were performed. Since the hospital
opened in 1904, those figures could be doubled. The article states that as endowment
funds dissipated, Bethlehem Steel made up the deficit. The hospital, however, was closed
in May, 1952, when Bethlehem Steel opened a clinic on the company grounds.

No mention was made in the article about serving DL&W employees, but I assume they
also used its services.

Ronald R. Dukarm  ELHS #532  ELHTS #66
rdukarm_@_adelphia.net

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List