FW: FW: Re: (erielack) More Hoboken stuff

Per Randy Brown's suggestion, I forwarded this question to Preston Cook, who
graciously answered:

>Hi Paul,
>
>I am not a subscriber to the list but would be glad to answer this, feel
free to forward it along.

>EMD marine engines and virtually all other large diesel engines use a
closed loop cooling system running fresh water with coolant inhibitor. This
loop is
>in turn cooled through a heat exchanger, or various types of hull mounted
coolers.

>They normally do not run "raw" water for cooling, regardless of whether the
vessel is in salt, brackish, or fresh water at the time. The reason for this
>is that you cannot condition it with the coolant inhibitor when you are
dumping it right back overboard again, and you risk having sediment and
corrosion
>build up in cylinder heads, cylinder liners, and other water passages.
>
>Preston

The original question:

>If Preston Cook reads this list, he could answer any and all questions,
>and even come up with some of his own -- this was his livlihood.
>
>Randy Brown
>vze3fhdr wrote:
>> Bob:
>>
>>    I know for a fact that the engine(s) exhausted through the stack
>> as a conventional engine. If they were raw water cooled, using river
>> water to cool the engine(s), I'm not sure.
>
>You are thinking of motor boats where the wate is inforduced into the
>exhaust.  I meant a water cooled exhaust manifold which I believe is
>required in marine service.
>
>The engines would not be directly cooled by the North River water as it
>is brackish.  There would a be a heat exchanger for river water/engine
>coolant.
>
>bob gillis
>>
>>    Bill
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "bob gillis"
>> <robertgillis_@_verizon.net>
>>
>>> EMD engines also had marine version which was different than the
>>> locomotive version.  The engines (think there were two)in the
>>> Lackawanna would have had watercooled manifolds, watercooled
>>> exhausts and probably a different design generator and control and
>>> other marine features.
>>>
>>> bob gillis

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
	Sponsored by the ELH&TS