Re: (erielack) Erie Montclair Tunnel

Scott,

  Where is this alleged Erie Tunnel? Did not know Erie had any tunnels in NJ than Bergen Archways to Pavonia, Jersey City Terminal

  Jerome

bob gillis <robertgillis_@_verizon.net> wrote:
  Scott Lupia wrote:
> I was just curious if there was any trace of the abandoned Erie tunnel
> which
> was to be built through the hill at Montclair? I had heard that there was
> but have no idea where to look. Was also curious if you could spot it on
> Google's satellite maps.

The start of the tunnel on he east could be seen on Upper Mountain
Avneue just north of Claremont Avenue. The Montclair Kimberly Academy
practice field is where it was.

The embankment for the line was visible until the 1970s between Valley
and the railroad.

The grade west of the mountain could be seen in Verona Park

bob gillis

The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
Sponsored by the ELH&TS
http://www.elhts.org