(erielack) Erie yellow

I was just filing some articles and remembered that I had one in the pile
with some information that I had wanted to share with us Listers. So I offer
the following with an FYI mindset.

We know that Erie yellow was stock Dupont Dulux Yellow. With John Bezuyen
doing the research and painting, this fact was underscored, so the New York
& Greenwood Lake Railway Geep and RS wear the modern version, still DULUX
Yellow 9356d.

In the Winter 2008 issue of The Streamliner (the Union Pacific Historical
Society publication) there is a thorough "Guide to UP Diesel Locomotive
Painting and Lettering" from 1934 to 1980 compiled by Don Strack and Dick
Harley. Very interestingly, that article states that "research has found
that UP Armour Yellow was stock Dupont No. 93-9356 Dulux yellow enamel
(p.7)." According to further research credited by Strack and Harley to Bob
Lucas of the AC&Y Historical Society and dated March 17, 2001, the same
yellow was used by the Akron, Canton & Youngstown, the Atlantic Coast Line,
Detroit & Toledo Short Line, Erie, Kansas City Southern, Louisiana &
Arkansas, Meridian & Bigbee, and Phelps-Dodge Morenci Mine. The article
added that the very same yellow "was also used by General Motors on their
Chevrolet line of pickup trucks, from 1936-1952."  [I found a website re the
truck color:  http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/paint/salter.html  ]

In essence, then, the research done by the UPHS and AC&YHS shows that Erie
Yellow and Armour Yellow were the same paint.

This is an interesting study in color perception. Make that stock Dulux
Yellow the prime color in a scheme with red and gray (brown at first), call
it "Armour Yellow" and use it on hundreds of cars in a famed streamliner
fleet, weather it with the ruddy hues of western dust, and photograph it
enough on Kodachrome film in late afternoon sun - and Armour Yellow takes on
a life of its own, even to the point of model manufacturers often making it
a deep orangy or reddish yellow. But Armour Yellow was the same yellow that
adorned Erie black and yellow diesels. It was, as it always looked to me in
person trackside, simply a good and hearty "yellow."

Joe Braun

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
	http://EL-List.railfan.net/