RE: (erielack) Mystery Drawbridge Photo

As I viewed your picture I could not believe that this newly painted bridge
was the Staten Island RR.  Last time I saw it 12 years ago is was a rusting
hulk.
Neat that your picture at the very bottom also shows the Bayonne Arch Bridge

DSCF7423.jpg (image/pjpeg, 2848x2136 1675594 bytes, BF: 3.63 ppb)

I think it could be "AK" draw on the Staten Island Railroad (formerly B&O,
later operated by NYS&W, now operated by Conrail).  This bridge crosses the
Arthur Kill between Elizabeth and Staten Island.

I believe it was constructed in the 1950's.  It was out of service for about
10 years and after a government funded rehabilitation the bridge is again in
service. Primary freight customers on Staten Island are the Port Authority's
container terminal at Howland Hook and the NYC trash loadout at Fresh Kills
landfill.

Here is a photo taken a few months ago by my son Andrew of a double stack
train crossing this bridge from NJ to NY

Rich Wisneski
Denville, NJ

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
	http://EL-List.railfan.net/