Re: (erielack) Modern Era Erie Lackawanna Power

Ok, , I was thinking semi-modern. GP40-2's B30-7's etc. EL as pros with the 20cyl 645E would probably have been one of those roads highly skeptical of the 50 series.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)<mailto:paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com>
  To: EL Mail List<mailto:erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
  Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:50 PM
  Subject: RE: (erielack) Modern Era Erie Lackawanna Power

  Brad Butcher asked:

  > Another interesting question would be "would EL purchase more
  > B-B power?" after the 45's. GP38-2's and U23B's not withstanding.

  Well, we can look once again to today's modern railroads. Most likely EL would have stuck with 6-axle units for road freights (note that the last major purchases of 4-axle units was in 1989 by ATSF, who then switched to all 6-axle units) - 4-axle units don't have the tractive effort that six-axle units do, and with the hills on the east end, you needed that tractive effort.

  My $0.02 :)

  - Paul

  The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
  http://EL-List.railfan.net/<http://el-list.railfan.net/>