(erielack) AOL Webmail stinks (was Camelbacks - Mother Hubbards"

It's something to do with the AOL webmail not handling the plain text part of
the email properly. The HTML part of the email has a number of "non-breaking
space" codes ( ) in it instead of plain spaces for some unknown reason
and AOL for another unknown reason replaces those with question marks instead
of plain spaces in the plain text portion of the email. If you get an email
from Mike in an HTML aware email client you see the HTML version of the email
and not the plain text version, even though it's there hiding in the
background. Some email programns let you see the raw email with a menu option.

The list processor always selects the plain text version of an email if it is
available so that it doesn't have to try to decode and convert an HTML part,
which frequently has lousy formatting displayed as plain text. Converting
Mike's HTML mail part to plain text makes into something that has three times
as many blank lines as lines with text.

The super question mark blast in his sign off is actually:
"<div>Trying to leave work today&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ....Mike<br>"

Interestingly, if you google 'AOL webmail "plain text" "question marks"' one
of the hits you get is my reply to Randy on the list about this back on July
20, 2008!

http://www.railfan.net/lists/erielack-digest/200807/msg00493.html

You'd think a meglomaniacal corporation like Time Warner AOL would have fixed
this by now, especially because it is absolutely trivial to do it on their
end. It just shows how much AOL actually cares about their customers.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Janet & Randy Brown wrote:

> Hey, Mike?
>
> Why all the ????????
>
> It makes it look like you are uncertain?
>
> As to Mother Hubbards -- maybe the "skirts" of the Wooten firebox reminded some of a long, shapeless dress.
>
> Randy Brown
>
> What I should have added before accidentally sending?that last note was that illustrations of the Mother Hubbard nursery rhyme in kids books?had her depicted as a homely and heavy old woman with stout features. Poissibly that is what the nickname was based upon.
>
> Trying to leave work today??????????????????? ....Mike

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
	http://EL-List.railfan.net/