Re: Morton Salt in Silver Springs (was: (erielack) Salt Traffic - EL Salt Covered Hopper

The salt mine was located at Retsof on the G&W proper, and it was huge!  In
the last 10 years that mine was abandoned, but a new one is located south of
there on the remnant of the DL&W main.  You can see the new lead track from
I-390.

Another little side business that dates back to the 70's was the G&W shops
in Retsof did a lot of contract work repairing freight cars of all kinds.
Somewhere in my collection I have a nice folder they did to promote the
service.

Tim

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:43 AM, <pat.moore_@_att.net> wrote:

> Okay, thanks.
>
> So, we're not talking huge train-length volumes here, just a small group of
> cars a few times a week, right?
>
> I only made it to Silver Springs once, while chasing the 765 back in the
> mid-80s, and I don't remember seeing a huge salt mine there.  So, that would
> confirm my recollection.
>
> -pat

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
	http://EL-List.railfan.net/