- -------------- Original message ----------------------
From: "Bill K." <pontiac_@_dreamscape.com>

I'll keep this short since it's O/T, but the original mine on the G&W collapsed
due to them simply not leaving pillars thick enough to support the ground above,
as they dug.  Eventually they'd dug out and left enough open space it caused a
sinkhole, it also apparently leaked a lot of salt into the Genesee River with
the resulting pollution killing off a lot of fish.  Or so I've been told, anyone
> really curious could probably google up more details.

So they had to dig a new shaft in another location and that ended up being
> connected to the rail world via G&W's stub of the former DL&W main.

Technically this is all Rochester & Southern now, although GWI industries still
exists, they merged the G&W into the R&S some time ago.  GWI owns and operates
rail lines all over the world these days, including multiple lines in the US and