(erielack) EL September calendar images

Hi folks,

That time of the month... a little early again, but I'll be on vacation for a few days next week, so we'll do this one a few days early...

The September ELHS/ELDCPS calendar image features a powerful shot of DL&W 4-6-2 #1118 departing Mountain View, NJ station, and just about to pass the photographer at the Mountain View Tower (controlling the crossing between the DL&W's Boonton Line and the Erie's NY&GL line). This early Spring shot shows to good effect the neatness of the DL&W's right-of-way, and the paired milk cars, baggage car, combine and Boonton coach make a neat-and-tidy Sussex Branch train. Is it me, or does anyone else think that steam locomotive shots look better in B&W than in color? Color shots always tended to me to lose a lot of detail on the mostly black locomotives.

The September Weekend Chief calendar image features a sunny-day shot of EL GP7 #1235 leading a Speno ballast cleaning train in August of 1975 - pretty interesting that the EL was doing this level of track maintenance towards the end of its life. The Pocono Summit station can be seen in the distance, but the real interesting part of the shot is that fascinating equipment, scooping up ballast from the sides of the right of way, and sorting out the "junk," dumping it out - but why is the conveyor belt aimed to the right, instead of the trailing hopper cars? (I assume the belt is for the junk in the ballast)

        - Paul

	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
	http://EL-List.railfan.net/