Railway Station Historical Society Railfan.net E-Mail List Photo Archive
goodman.jpg Original: 275 by 119 pixels - Current: 275 by 119 - 100%
Try your mouse wheel too!
From: "James Dent" james DOT dent AT itochu DOT com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:18:09 -0500
"goodman.jpg" - image/jpeg, 19398 bytes, 275x119 (18kb)
From the Salt Lake City Tribune...
A FEAST F0R RAILROAD BUFFS
Sunday, March 11, 2001
BY JACK GOODMAN
You can no longer ride a passenger train to Ogden, but, within memory of
many Utahns, there was a streamliner ready to board at the handsome,
mission-style building shown in today's sketch.
The Union Pacific took passengers to Chicago or Los Angeles; the
Southern Pacific went to Oakland, with connections to Seattle. The Butte
Special carried riders out of the old Union Station to Montana's copper
country and, during the right season, to Yellowstone National Park and
Jackson Hole. Now the old station is the Utah State Railroad Museum. Inside,
there is the Union Grill Restaurant, plus a gift shop, art gallery and the
intriguing Browning Firearms Museum and antique auto collection.
One of the state's most complete model railroad circles much of the
downstairs, and model trains are for sale also. Outside there is a giant
Union Pacific 4-8-4 steam passenger locomotive. The UP Centennial Freight
diesel, also outside, was the world's largest when it was built half a
The narrow gauge Rio Grande steamer outside once stood in the Salt Lake
Historical Society's museum. There are train cars from Pioneer Village, a
Southern Pacific locomotive and other rolling stock.
The Spanish-style structure replaced a multi-gabled, tall-towered
structure first built in 1886 on the 23rd Street lot to house the Ogden
Union Railway and Depot Company. The original Victorian-style station was
soon too small and later burned.
The building in the sketch was designed in 1924 by John and Donald
Parkington. It has a Cordova Spanish tile roof and is built of pink buff
brick, with two main entrances adorned by carved buffalo. As finished, the
building had a waiting room, smoking room, ladies rest parlor and
restaurant, emergency hospital, ticket offices and railroad offices.
Later, the Union Pacific built an ice plant nearby and a laundry to
handle linens for the sleepers and dining cars. In its busiest days, the
railroad station was connected to some main line tracks by a pair of
tunnels, through which redcaps hustled baggage while passengers walked along
safe, dry and shaded.