(erielack) Passenger service in NJ/NY

WOW! I'm away for three days and the list blows up with interesting conversation!

My $0.02 on all that's been discussed:

* Bingo-Syracuse passenger service. Hmm. Sounds good, but I'm wondering how much of a political play this is by Delaware Otsego to get NY State $$$ to rehab the line (is freight traffic THAT strong there today, after the loss of the stacks?)

* Does anyone else think that the feasibility of using RDCs for this long haul is pretty bad? The NYS&W has three working RDCs (one was bought for parts, and a fifth one became a parts supply as well)

* As for Scranton-side vs. Port Jervis-side, I would squarely place my bet on the Scranton side, if I had to. West of Port Jervis, you're talking about a very small population to serve. Remember that those folks up there have service as far as Port Jervis. The folks in the Poconos would have to drive to Netcong (30+ miles) to get the nearest rail service. Plus, the Poconos are quickly becoming commuter havens, with new and inexpensive housing going up (and TV commercials for these new homes touting "soon-to-come high-speed rail service to New York" :)  You have a FAR larger passenger base (and consequently, opportunity for success) with the Lackawanna side here.

* The Erie side also has, as mentioned by others, its share of engineering deficiencies (curves, to be specific). Sure, tilt trains can solve this problem. But to invest in new equipment to serve such a modest corridor?  It is beautiful country up there, however, and could possibly make a very nice dinner/tourist train operation. Does anyone else think the former Erie (or for that matter, the DL&W side) would make a neat "day cruise" train operation?  Hoboken-Binghamton round trip by rail would take ~6-7 hours. You have scenery, you could promote good food, etc. Like a cruise ship. (Think "American Orient Express")

Just my two cents. "Rail cruises" seem to be all the rage lately, and I think there is a market for a shorter (i.e., not overnight) type of "cruise train" locally.

	- Paul