(erielack) D&H 801

Lists,
    Over the last few days there has been discussion over whether or not
this unit had the "L" shaped window.
    On the D&H list, I mentioned that the unit was the EMD demo 4354 and was
built in 06/66 with the normal or four window front configuration.  Others
speculated that it was delivered with the "L" window and subsequently
rebuilt after accident damage.
    I will ask all to refer to the book "Classic Locomotives - the series
Vol.2 EMD SD-45" where on page 30 there appears a photo of the 4354 in full
demo paint in June of '67 with the four window configuration.  She never had
the "L".
    As an aside, the WC had some ex Frisco 45's that had the "L" window
replaced and their is a simple yet subtle way to determine the presence of
the "L" window.  If it had it and was retrofitted with the normal style, the
engineers window at the top will be in direct orientation to the top edge of
the center windows.  If it was always a four piece arrangement, the
engineers window will appear slightly higher and not in direct line with the
center windows.  Also, from the inside, the window sits lower and as a
result, the top of the cab heater is basically "into the glass" whereas the
normal configuration would place it slightly below the bottom edge of the
glass.
    Hopefully this puts this issue to rest.

EMD 4351 - IC (ICG) 7000 - "L" window
EMD 4352 - D&H 802 - "L" window
EMD 4353 - D&H 803 - "L" window
EMD 4354 - D&H 801 - normal four window configuration

Chupka

End of EL List Daily V3 #607