Re: (erielack) Pascack Valley Line

- --- MONTGOMERY| ED <emontgom_@_LAN.TJHSST.EDU> wrote:
 From Westwood
> north I
> was surprised to see that just about all of the
> railroad stations had
> been preserved.  They all looked great.  I wonder
> how this was
> done?  This line never had a tremendous amount of
> passenger
> service yet the communities seemed to have clung to
> their depots.

I touch on this on my NJ&NY page as well,
njnyrr.homestead.com.  These stations are seen in most
cases as important parts of the community history,
being built in many cases not by the railroad, but
rather in whole or in part by the citizens or a local
benefactor or group thereof.  Park Ridge is a good
example of this, as its 1871 station was built by its
citizens to lure the NJ&NY north of Hillsdale and
restored 110 years later by another group of concerned
citizens.
These stations are all in use, so it makes sense to
restore them and keep them in good shape as a commuter
shelter, local meeting place, or even a commercial
establishment like the cafe in Pearl River or the
bakery in Emerson.