(erielack) Re Buffalo line

"David Green" <davandli_@_empacc.net> wrote:

>but they need a western connection besides .
>> . NS?  CSX?  which runs to Meadville?
>
>How about Wheeling & Lake Erie?  How close to Meadville do they come?
>Last I knew they weren't doing well, but that could change...Ohio Central?
>How far east do they run?
>
>- Dave Green, ELHS #1366
>
>Dave ....you say not doing well, I keep hearing this. There's always a weak line. Which is a percentage of the business on the next line it connects with. This is true, freight or passenger. So if you keep cutting the weakest lines, where does it stop? The first thing a new private operator does when buying a rail line is to find out how much is this investment worth if he tears it up for junk and real estate.

You don't just need connections, you need friendly connections that will work with you. If you don't get good rates from the class one you connect with your dead! You better have alot of passenger business. You don't have to share that with your class one connection.It's cash...and you get it that day!

You're right ..but I'd say the industry is in long term trouble. They've been in trouble since the first paved road.I'm glad some people in Western New York drew the line and said enough is enough. And saved the Erie Main there.I talked with a short line operator this weekend.He said "alot of people say they support the railroad, but they don't" .....Lance

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_@_Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/