Re: (erielack) Re: NS Buffalo Line Changes

Hi Kevin,

NS union folk have already been dissapointed that the Bingo changes will
result in new positions in Bingo only and not Allentown. You are right,
Enola is the threat at this time. Traffic through Allentown Yard is much
lighter than it was a year ago (from what railroaders there say).

Rob

On 7/11/02 1:56 PM, "Kevin DeGroff" <kdegroff_@_starpower.net> wrote:

>> I suspect there is also going to be negative impact at Allentown. I would
>> not be surprised if Allentown is closed within 2 years as a classification
>> yard.
>

> Not if the concept is pushing the traffic as far east/north as possible before
> classifying it.  The only real threat to Allentown is the fact that Enola is
> better situated at a key junction of various NS routes, something that
> Allentown
> is not.  But remember Enola was initially closed because CR could push the
> traffic
> farther east (Allentown) before it needed to be classified.  Allentown is the
> eastbound equivalent to Elkhart, which classifies westbound traffic.
>

>> Norfolk Southern  is a north-south company, so getting the line to
>> Mickeyville under the horsey flag is a good thing, even if it is only
>> trackage rights. Wanna bet the horse is in Montreal by next year?
>

> For being this "north-South" company, they sure haven't been marketing
> the route's potential.  There are major hurdles in the form of Washington
> and Baltimore tunnels that preclude use of the SOU route north, the hilly
> and zig-zag "B-line", and the up-n-down Shenandoah Line.  None of them make
> for truck-competitive service.  And where that intermodal traffic does
> exist as a result of the new Atlanta terminal, none of that presently goes
> north of Harrisburg.  They certainly haul more intermodal east on the Pennsy,
> and coal east on the N&W and VGN, than they do hauling the piddly traffic
> they have on the I-95 corridor.
>

>> So, if Keating Summit was too much of a headache and dollar drain, you gotta
>> think Gulf Summit is next, no?
>
> Keating Summit was the only place on the CR system where 4 6-axle units were
> required as helpers.  The Boston Line used 3, and Altoona required 2.  You can
> be damn sure this is the worst hill for mainline trains on the system.
> Compounding things is the fact that the helper terminal at Olean is 50 miles
> from where the push takes place.  Gulf Summit requires 0 helpers.
>

>> Is this the death knell for the Southern Tier east of Bingo?
>
> I'd be more concerned if it's a bad thing for the line WEST of Binghamton.
> This agreement allows them to eventually move all the east-west New England
> traffic from the Tier and run it via Harrisburg.  Who needs to go via Buffalo,
> with all that snow?
>
> NYS&W and WNY&P?  A great combination road to nowhere?  "We have arrived at
> Youngstown Ohio, Everybody please step off".
>
> Besides, since NS and CSX have "financially oiled" NYS&W, the Squeak shall
> remain silent.

- --
Rob Davis
trains_@_robertjohndavis.com
President, Garden State Central Model Railroad Club
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/6611/

Thinning collection: B&M, Lehigh Valley and milk road models in HO.
See them at http://www.vermonthobbydepot.com/consignment.html

Web support for Vermont Hobby Depot at http://www.vermonthobbydepot.com

Ahead of the Torch: http://www.robertjohndavis.com/aott

Milk Train and Dairy Industry Group: