(erielack) Scranton DL Trackage

- ----- Original Message -----
From: David J. Monte Verde
To: Joshua K. Blay
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 9:05 AM
Subject: GVT Press Release

> Hello David:
>
> I've a few questions if you don't mind.  Is the former eastbound track
in
> the tunnel itself lower then the westbound track or are they of equal
> clearance?
Answer: The main through the tunnel is 19'2" and the "Receiver-the old
eastbound main- as the EL called it, has a 19'6" (actually 19'7
1/2")clearance. The tunnel is higher at the west end and tapers down as
the grade increase at the east end. Why the DL&W never daylighted this
tunnel is beyond me, this is the steepest part of the West Slope grade
out of Scranton, and if you make Myrtle Street to the east of the tunnel
you will make the hill, usually! PPL sponsored  the rehab of this track
so we could fit the recent grouping of 19'6" loads through the tunnel on
the Receiver.

I saw that a lot of work had been done the r-o-w, very
> impressive.  Is the westbound track between station signs Ridge and
Nay Aug
> considered the mainline and the former eastbound considered the
receiver?
Answer: You are correct