(erielack) Re: PRR Buffalo Line

> Someone asked about EL connections on the west end and the W&LE. Since the WP
> & NY  ends in Meadville there is a problem linking up with the W&LE. NS owns
> the line from Meadville to Youngstown. Someone would have to aquire that line
> or trackage rights to link up with the Ohio Central in Youngstown.

Don't forget there was a filing made to the STB c. mid 2000 for a company called
"High Tech Trans", who was going to establish a roadrailer operation? on the line
between Binghamton and Youngstown, with designated "set-off" areas at places like
Elmira, Erwin (Gang Mills), Hornell, Olean, Jamestown, Meadville, and Youngstown.
I remember it clearly because they mis-spelled "Erwin" as "Irwin" in the filing.
The end-of-trackage at Meadville wasn't a problem for such plans.

The biggest potential for the EL lies in a transcontinental merger between BNSF/UP
and CSX/NS.  Roads like DM&E, KCS/GWWR, W&LE, GTW, NYS&W, WNY&P, I&O etc will all
want trackage concessions, which would allow them to build an alphabet route acting
as a third player by virtue of the big roads being forced to spin off trackage,
similar to the "Pro-Rail" Guilford extension plans to Chicago via the NKP lakeshore
and Pennsy Fort Wayne lines.