(erielack) Montclair Connection tests

NJ Transit announced early this week that they would test the
electrification between Walnut St (Montclair) and Great Notch this
weekend.  This is the Erie portion of the line; the actual track
connection hasn't been made.

Due to other activities today, I got to Great Notch at 7:30pm this
evening.  Nothing was moving and it appeared that the test trains were
parked for the night.  Visible from the station were three trains in the
yard, from the left:  ALP 46 4605, ALP 44 4414, with a string of Comet II
cars, cab 5143; ALP 44 4413 with Comet IV's; and Arrow III 1313 with other
Arrows.  From a parking lot farther east, I was able to see a fourth train
with ALP 46 4601, ALp 44 4427, and Comet IV cars.  I took some photos and
they will be available later; I'll post a URL when that happens.

Farther east, construction is well along on the platform for a new station
at Montclair State University.  It adjoins parking lot 28 which is across
the railroad from the Yogi Berra Museum and the minor league baseball
stadium.

At the current Montclair Heights station, mini high-level platforms were
built some time ago (judging by weathering of the wood).

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey