Re: (erielack) Coal trains to Portland cement

>Lafarge in Whitehall has been part of the plan floated for R J Corman to

>restore the LV mainline, has that ever gotten past the pipe dream stage?

To the best of my knowledge, it is still on hold, perhaps permanently. I think there's some conflict with Whitehall Township over using the old ROW. But, R.J. Corman doe s have a bridge in place out on Clearfield that allegedly is to be used for the line at Darktown in Whitehall.

>At the Northampton site, does NDC still use the eclectic mix of Baldwins and

>Alcos they had in the mid 1990's?

Both are Alco S6s. The one was originally built by Baldwin but re-engined by Alco. I think they came off the Upper Merion and Plymouth. Both are painted black.

>Don't parts of Alpha still stand at Martin's Creek?

The silos are still standing at Martins Creek. They are used by ConAgra. Last time i was by they still said Alpha Cement on them.

>Which plant in t he Coplay area did they make the museum out of? It was one

>of the older "ruins?"

The Saylor Park Museum is housed in the old Saylor Cement Company. That plant I believe was the first Portland Cement plant in the world. The kilns resemble those of an open-hearth furnace.

.

>And there's plenty of Yeungling to end a good day chasing ghosts! ;-)

Amen to that! The Lehigh valley and surrounding areas sure have/had a lot to offer. I miss my time there.

Jim Rowland