(erielack) Montclair Connection testing - Sunday

I go to see what's running this morning.  I first stop at Great Notch;
most of the trains are out of the yard.  I continue to Montclair Heights
so I can take photos.  I see a train of Comet II rebuilds moving very
slowly east on the Clove Road overpass at about 10:45.

I park at Montclair Heights and see another 'observer' sitting in his car.
 He says two trains have gone east on the westbound track, a set of Arrow
III's and a set of Comets pushed by an ALP 44.  Three NJT signal
maintainers are at the grade crossing control box; they say the dispatcher
has given them some warning of approaching trains.

At 11am, the grade crossing gates go down.  The train of Comet II rebuilds
comes on the eastbound track: Comet IV cab 5021 (there are no Comet II
rebuild cabs and won't be any - the cabs will be rebuilt as trailers with
toilets since the cabs don't meet current crash requirements.  The Comet V
order includes a heavy balance of cabs.), one I miss as the train stops at
the station, 5304, 5303, more and an ALP 44 and ALP 46.  The platform here
is only about 3 cars long; the train blocks Normal Avenue and the gates
are down at the next crossing.  Yes, Normal Ave derives from the original
name of Montclair State University:  Montclair Normal School.

A few minutes later, the gates drop again for a westbound with an ALP 44,
two Comet IV I miss, 5238, 5530, 5549, 5259, 5577, 5565 and 5024.  Again,
the train stops.  It appears the trains are making simulated runs
including the station stops.  Two people come after the train leaves and
ask when the next train will be.  I tell them these are test trains and
that the next one they can board is tomorrow, but that there is bus
service nearby.

At 11:15, the gates drop for a westbound but rise again; a false alarm.  I
have to leave at 11:30.  As I go, a bus crosses the track going toward New
York and then another goes outbound...

I will have to see if the movies I took can be posted somewhere for your
enjoyment.  More later if I can.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7