Re: (erielack) EL SDP45 sold to Museum....

To all listers:

Comments from Henry, Rob, and Paul,

And here is my 2 cents worth in blue.

> We need a contact email address for that museum so we can launch a letter
> > writing campaign for putting it back into EL colors!
> >

> If the Spooner news is true, you'd do better to pass the collection paint
> for gmy paint, rather than have a bunch of easterners flood their mailboxes
> telling them what to do with the locomotive they just bought.
>
> It is clear that the Spooner Museum people have stepped forward with their
> funds and initiative to purchase the former EL unit. Paul is correct, It is
> not our business to be telling them what to do. I am not aware of any EL
> fans or groups that were seriously interested in saving the unit. Now, if
> someone wants to put together a proposal to lease the unit, have the turbo
> and whatever else repaired, painted in GMY, and moved to the East coast,
> then go for it.
>
> Remember, it was at auction and the winner wasn't in EL country. Very true!
> Obviously they wanted the unit, even if it was EL and not Soo Line or
> Milwaukee Road, which would be more in line with their area.
>

> When the news of the EL unit came up, no one stepped forward to care about
it like the EBT guys did.

The question is always, "will someone else do it? When is someone else going
to take action? Why didn't someone do something? "  I think people do care,
and people of good will and faith are willing to step forward, to donate
funds, and assist in any way they can. However, as always, it depends on a
very few people to come forward, and say, "Yes, I will lead, lets get the job
done." And if no one steps forward to do this, nothing will happen, it is
just human nature.

I think Tim Stuy and his diner guys cared enough to make that project move
forward.

Here again, we have made tremendous progress. Thanks to ELDCPS President Mike
Steinberg, VP JJBoehner, Sec. Tim Stuy, and Treasurer Paul Tupazcewski, who
are leading the project. In addition to the many EL fans who have cared,
decided that the project is worthwhile, and have either joined ELDCPS,
donated funds, and purchased our reproduction Dining car items. I can
honestly say, that our organization is not interested in railfan politics, we
are only interested in our mission. Yes, we do care. But it took several
individuals to take the idea I proposed originally on the List in March 2000,
organize ELDCPS, lead the organization, and make it happen.

The point is, saving railroad equipment is a huge task. Wishing results in
nothing. Caring results in success.

Yes, saving and preserving railroad equipment can be a daunting challenge,
but it is not impossible. Their are many success stories around, and one
doesn't have to be Ross or Bennett to do it. Just takes a few people to step
forward, and don't give up.

Everyone can wish the big EMD went to an EL resting place, but on one cared
enough to organize the effort. (Myself included)

EL resting place? With a little effort, the unit could have been pulling
freight out of Scranton. I can't add anything more to Rob's statement. True!
Pointing fingers does not accomplish much, but action does! So guys, get to
work, form a group and see what can be done.

As far as the asking price, $16,000 was a steal. With the Diner project,
including several grants we have won to date, we have raised over $45,000.00.

The SDP-45 was very viable, and doable. But for ELDCPS, we have our hands
full with our mission, and it is up to another group to rescue an example of
heavy EL road power. Anyone?

 We are preparing to send out an update to all ELDCPS members with some very
good news for our organization and Diner 741. After the update is sent to our
members first, it will be posted on our website. We are also planning an open
house with 741 in the near future, before the car goes into the shop.

I will get down off my soapbox.

Kind regards,

John Boehner, VP
ELDCPS