(erielack) 20 cylinder beast

I had no idea these monsters were still around & breathing. I've probly run
this one...not sure. I used to catch the night hostler at the Erie yard in
Binghamton & this involved moving power to the siding next to the Moon feed
co. (for u non Bingies, that's the "quaint victorian buildings" on the East
side of the Erie mainline just west of the station. They had that nice
humming sound that all EMDs made & were comfortable inside......certainly
beat the many switch engines I moved around....elderly EMDs, Alcos, & here &
there a few ancient Baldwins. Little did I know that when I resigned & went
to the OLD Auto-Train, an EL Baldwin would vollow me to Sanford (#621 from
which ALL the AT switchers took their class #s. - 622 from Bremerton navy
yard, 623 & 624 from the W.P. ......switchlists from Stockton yard in the
seatboxes. & finally an Alco S-2 from the Seaboard Coast Line & before that
the Burlington). Talk about Deja-vu!!!!
       I guess we should be grateful for anything that EXISTS. Look at the
4-4-0 camelback that's in the St.Louis museum in a state of
dog-in-the-manger, as well as the 2-6-0 that's in Scranton. Not much to show
for the great steam fleet that was the DL&W, not to mention the ERIE.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a 1600 somewhere or an ERIE 3300. I worked
as an operator at SN in Leavittsburg, Ohio & Cal Banse told me I really
missed the great shows when the 2-8-4s would hammer by the tower on their way
over the 2nd District to Pymatuning. Now I wish Id taken fotos like I see on
my EL calendar.
    Let us be grateful for what we have.
Regards,
Walter E. Smith