RE: (erielack) CSX or NS SD45-2

Steve Adair wrote:

> For memory the BN units (ex-GN?) were SDP-40s, not 45s.

Actually, BN had both. Here's a shot of a BN SDP45:

http://archive.trainpix.com/BN/EMDORIG/SDP45/6596.HTM

Note the square back!

> As
> Paul said, the
> EL units were the only freight "P" units, purchased for their
> large fuel
> tank.  SP had the only units with steam generators which was
> what the "P"
> was intended to be.  This would be another case of EL ingenuity.

Here's something that's always puzzled me: The EL got the huge tanks to run non-stop, Croxton-Chicago. Most of the Western roads had long routes as well - why didn't they opt for larger fuel tanks so they had to make less fueling stops?

	- Paul