(erielack) Re: [AnthraciteRR] Re: DL&W SIGNAL ASPECTS

In a message dated 7/17/2002 9:48:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nkloudon_@_hotmail.com writes:

> Opposed pairs of three-light signals were used exclusively on the
> single-track Gladstone Branch prior to re-electrification and installation
> of TCS. The system was designated as an "Absolute and Permissive Block
> System".
>
> Signals at the "far" end of passing sidings were "Absolute", and were
> designated by a number board below the target. A Stop indication (red) on
> one of these signals could not be passed except on written order. (This
> necessitated the location of telephone boxes at the ends of sidings.)
>
> On all other signals, at the "near" end of a siding or between sidings, a
> red light indicated "stop and proceed at restricted speed."  In this case
> restricted speed would be slow enough to stop short of any obstruction
> ahead.
>
> In addition, each manned station (except Gladstone) had a roof-mounted
> "order board" semaphore signal which could be manually set by the
> agent/operator, indicating that written orders were to be picked up. These
> dated back to the railroad's original construction, but remained for
> emergency use as long as there were agents who could copy orders!
>
> -Kent Loudon

Kent, has most of this correct, but I would like to point out a few
technicalities related to the Stop signals, and Stop and Proceed signals
encountered at the passing sidings.
The APB (Absolute Permissive Block), that was used on the P&D, ( Gladstone
Line) was unique.  It gave a clear block to any train, in any direction, at
any time, until one train encountered another. Then the three block system,
CLEAR, APPROACH, and STOP AND PROCEED, indications would go into effect.

I was fortunate to have worked on the line with some great Conductors and
Engineers who would make a science of meets. By watching when the opposing
train set the yellow either on the signal one block before the meet,
approaching the meet, or at the far end of the passing siding, would
determine if you backed in, (NOT COPASETIC BY THE RULE BOOK), or you pulled
in. They would have this down to within seconds on which way to proceed. This
was calculating down to within 30 seconds exactly how long it would take to
reach the siding, and the time you would need to make all the necessary moves
at the siding. This is when everybody's watch better be correct to the exact
second and everything was a hand thrown switch. You better know exactly what
your assignment was at each end of the siding, in what order things were to
be done, where to stand to give a good hand signal, and where to go after you
closed up, etc, etc.  One of the most read pages in the entire employees time
table was the page dealing with rights of opposing trains, and especially on
the P&D.  I remember sitting with crews in the mornings just after going on
duty.  One member would have a small pocket radio tuned to WOR on the AM
dial.  Ever ten minutes or so they would say the time is, (example) 5:40am
riiiiiiiighttttttttttttt, and six guys would say NOW in unison. An if you
were out of unison, you made sure you took that into account for that the
rest of the day, or got your watch set correctly.

You got a stop and proceed signal, which had a number board, entering the
passing sidings if the opposing train was already in the RED.  This was
simply a, toot toot, and way you went at restricted speed. No need to talk to
anyone at Stop and Proceeds. You got a Stop signal, which had no number
board, at the other end of the siding, until the opposing train was by you.
At the Stop signal, where the term Absolute came from, you did not leave
without permission, and a clearance form B.  Without the Clearance form B, if
you couldn't reach the dispatcher, a flagman was supposed to proceed the move
on the ground to the next block signal.  Permission was received at the phone
box like Kent said, but 98% of the time you talked directly to the
Dispatcher, not the agent/operator.  You might try the short line if the
Dispatcher was not coming on the open line, and then the agent would
intervene on your behalf.  Maybe by the bell phone, if the Block Line was out
further east.

A little trick you learned when taking promotion in order to remember the
open Train Order offices was the saying, Mothers Milk Better By Far.

Mothers             Murray Hill
Milk                   Millington
Better                Basking Ridge
By                     Bernardsville
Far                    Far Hills

This was to remember the Train Order Offices.  NOT the passing sidings. Not
every train order office was at a passing siding, and not every siding was at
a train order office. Passing Sidings were at Murray Hill, Berkley Heights,
Sterling, Millington, Lyons siding, Bernardsville, and Far Hills. These
sidings were the only place you
could find a stop signal other than leaving Gladstone, ( first signal) and
Summit entering and leaving the Branch.

I don't know, but it seems to me that when the siding were made remote
control, and later when the Branch was CTCed this may have been the last
place in the country where this type of operation was played out everyday,
especially on the scale that it was? It was the last old time Railroading, at
least around here. Maybe in Canada or Mexico there is still such a Branch, or
line, but I'm sure it doesn't have the sheer number of trains the P&D did.
Does anyone know of any passenger, hand operated, time table authority, meets
anywhere in North America?

All for now.
Bob Bahrs