Re: (erielack) Hopatcong Junction

I don't know about NOW, but one winter many years ago I was able to SKI
some of it.

The portion from the CNJ junction in beautiful downtown Wharton to East
Dewey Ave is paved, as I wrote before, and has benches and trash baskets.
The next segment goes under I-80/NJ 15 interchange 34 to the Grainger
parking lot and is ok - used by dirt bikers; it hosts a sewer line and
thus is 'protected'.  From there to Richard Mine Road, piles of dirt have
been dumped and it's overgrown.  The next section, to the Teabo Church at
Coburn Rd, is what I did ski.  More dirt bike use.  I didn't go east from
there to St Bernard's Dr, but I think it's fallen into the yards of houses
built in the area (I don't know who owns the property.).  From there to Mt
Hope Rd has been used by dirt bikers and ATV's, so it should be walkable.
East of Mt Hope belongs to Mt Hope Rock Products...  Rattlesnakes have
been reported there.

One point of interest along Richard Mine Road is the 'WHARTON & NORTHERN'
track car in the front yard of the last house on the north side eastbound!

I do not know who owns the MHMRR property now.  You should check at
Rockaway Township on Mt Hope Rd near I-80 and contact the owners before
venturing into someone's back yard...

- --- Bob Mitchell <nebula07869_@_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do you know if it's possible to hike along the Mount Hope Mineral RR?

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey