Re: (erielack) Air pump placement

Rich Young"

demurs about my comments on

Subject: Re: (erielack) Air pump placement

saying:

> Though mounting them on the left created the
> "balanced" look it was mearly for convienience of
> maintenence. Mounting them on the smokebox was most
> efficient as it kept them cooler for better air output
> and cleaner air input.
>
> Sorry, SGL !

and then, in my book, contradicts himself with this observation from real
life:

> If you look at the SP 4449 , on the firemans
> side you have Not only two air pumps side by side but
> also a Worthington Hot water pump to boot. Also all
> three are about 1800 pounds each verses the right with
> only the power reverser at about the same weight all
> hung off the boiler.

May I emphasize:  "at about the same weight?"

Thanks for "proving" my point, Rich!

This isn't just my opinion, either.  I've seen this referred to in
engineering texts.  It's clear that a laterally balanced, or nearly so,
locomotive will be better for the track and operations.

SGL