Re: (erielack) AS - 616

In 1960-61, I was called as fireman for ore trains from North Randall to
Youngstown and the Big Baldwin 616s were the power. Shortly after, I
transferred to Scranton and these engines showed up again in the pusher pool
there. We'd pushed a train to Clarks Summit and having cut off were on our
way back down the hill. The old engineer decided to let his fireman get a
little throttle time and gave me one admonition,"Don't let them get over 30".
Coming back down trhu Abingdon, I DID get over 30....at about 40 or so, I
thought they were going to gallop off the rails. I slowed down and learned a
lesson....these old guys knew what they were talking about.
      Still and all, they were great engines for lugging iron ore or pushing.
Just don't go too fast!
Regards,
Walter E. Smith
employee #102156