Re: (erielack) Conrail did not buy Erie-Lackawanna..!

U.S. copyright law provides that, even if you do not register a work, you
have a copyright on that work for whatever the law says--someone else put
that in a previous post.  It seems that, even if the E-L did not formerly
register its logo with the appropriate federal agency, it had a copyright
on the logo.  Now, if that survived the E-L's dissolution, that's a legal
question.

Ken B.

At 11:05 PM 7/25/02 -0400, intercityrailpal_@_netscape.net wrote:

>Dear E-L friends, Conrail did not buy Erie-Lackawanna...they brought the
>rail assets they wanted. If you brought the corporation you would be
>buying their problems, and have to deal with their stockholders.You'd get
>the trademarks of a failed business. Trademarks...I don't know about any
>new laws in the 1970's. But the only railroads that trademarked their
>logo's that I know of, were the Chesapeake and Ohio and The Santa Fe.The
>weary, Erie was not one of them. (Just my opinion.)
>
>Erie-Lackawanna as much as we feel this is the perfect railroad. Was not
>...I guess the term is ...a clean corporation. There were issues....which
>came up in the past 100 years which were still going on, in 1992.
>
>If you found the largest shareholder, and brought their shares. Perhaps,
>you could go to the Ohio court that ordered the liquidation, and open the
>corporation again!Here's a question for the group....Who was the largest
>shareholder? It wasn't me. I just had one share to follow...the company to
>the end. (It also looks great over my desk, on the wall.)I still have the
>last check. It was for a few cents. The management would sell a asset, pay
>themselves...shareholders got what was left. There was a movement to
>continue the company. I voted for that. It failed!To my knowledge all the
>outstanding bonds were paid off. Conrail paid ....what? six humdred
>million dollars for the rail assets. I'm not sure of this amount. There
>was lots of money to continue the company!....
>I really doubt...it's just my opinion here, Conrail would want any
>connection with Erie-Lackawanna.Lackawanna Lance

>Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas.
>Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_@_Netscape!
>http://shopnow.netscape.com/
>
>Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at
>http://webmail.netscape.com/
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

- ---