RE: (erielack) DL&W RS3 make-up oil tanks

> I have a couple of questions regarding the Lackawanna RS3's
> with the make-up
> oil tanks (901-904). Were these tanks added immediately after
> delivery or
> were they attached at a later date? Does anyone have a good
> side angle photo
> of these or maybe some basic dimensions of the tank and the
> stand? I need
> this info for modeling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about when the tanks were added, though this photo on George Elwood's site:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/dlw902as.jpg

shows #902 without the tank ahead of the cab...  I believe there was a good side-angle photo in the "Flags, Diamonds and Statues" issue on DL&W diesels, and I think one of the books has a good B&W photo of it (can anyone remember which one?)

Note that these units (becoming EL 1039-1042) later lost the tanks on the deck ahead of the cab. Where they not necessary? Did they just not work?

	- Paul