(erielack) Amtrak On the Ground Again

I was driving home about 20 minutes ago and heard a radio bulletin that A=
mtrak
had derailed again.  When I got to the house the local TV stations had th=
eir
helicopters shooting pictures.  It was the Capitol Limited.  The engines
remained on the track but the baggage care and at least 4 Superliners wen=
down an embankment.  Most on their sides.  The helicoptor shots illustrat=
ed a
roadbed that appears to have shifted or had been drawn out of alignment b=
y the
derailment.  It is one heck of a mess.  I'm wondering if it is roadbed re=
lated
similar to what happened to the AutoTrain in the spring.  We had some hea=
vy
downpours within the last few days.

The train was in CSX double track territory on the north track or what us=
ed to
be westbound on the old B&O main.  There doesn't seem to be any fatalitie=
s at
this time.  Some injuries have been reported.  It has been reported that =
at
least 6 people have been and may still be trapped in the train at this
writing.  =

Not good news for Amtrak.  This might be the thing that will be the last =
blow
for the carrier.  =

Helicoptor shots illustrate that the welded rail let loose from the ties
resulting in the ties being pushed together at about a 60 degree angle to=
 the
direction of the rails.  MARC rail has already replaced their evening rai=
service with bus transportation.

Ed Montgomery