(erielack) How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Hi!
I just spent the last week traipsing through the southern tier of New
York, following the Erie and DL&W ROWs.  I mainly concentrated around
the Elmira NY area since I grew up there.  I've got a lot of photos
(most of them taken by my wife since I'm pretty much a clutz with a
camera) and I'd be happy to scan them and post them in if anyone is
interested.
In the area east of Elmira, I have some pictures of the siding in
Wellsburg, the Erie bridge over the Chemung River near Chemung/Lowman
and the Erie bridge over Seeley Creek.  There wasn't much of the DL&W
ROW left in that area except that you could still see hints of it
alongside Route 17 as it curves off to the south toward Willawanna.
In the Elmira area, I have some pictures of the DL&W bridge over Newtown
Creek.  By the way, there are no longer any tracks laid out from Kennedy
Valve to the bridge so it may soon be history so if you want to see it
yourself, now's the time.  The DL&W overpass on Church Street going out
to route 17 has been removed.  I have some pictures of the DL&W
overpasses through town and some pictures where the DL&W station used to
be.  I also have pictures of the Erie overpasses on Henry Street (still
in use) and Chemung Place (not in use).  I have pictures of the Erie
station and of the elevated structures from the river to 5th street.  I
also have pictures of the bridge over the Chemung river.  I also have
pictures from the Washington street overpass south toward the station
and also showing what's left of the yards to the north.  For the PRR
fans, the Samuel Clements parkway has pretty much eliminated the
Southport yard...there was nothing left worth photographing.
In Big Flats, I tried to find the DL&W station but couldn't find it.
Does anyone know if it is still existing and where it is so I can find
it next time?  I do have some photos of the overpasses in Big Flats,
showing the architectural differences between the two railroads.  I also
noticed that there is still some track on the DL&W row but it is badly
overgrown and falling apart (railplates and spikes just laying around).
Also, one of the DL&W overpasses has been removed (as well as the fill).
In the Corning area, I have pictures of the location where the Erie
station on Sly street used to be.  At the end of Sly Street, where it
deadends into the Erie ROW, there is a mural of an EL locomotive spray
painted on the concrete wall.  The ghost of EL still roams the tracks in
Corning.  I have pictures of the DL&W station and pictures of the
overpasses on Dodge Street.  There was an interesting appendage sticking
out from a gable over the front of the station that I have no idea what
it's purpose is.
In the Painted Post area I have pictures of the Rochester branch going
through the streets and pictures of the DL&W station that was restored
by the Corning-Painted Post Historical Society.
I also have some pictures of the Erie stations in Hornell and in
Salamanca.  In Salamanca, I visited the Railroad museum.  The Erie
station there is being refurbished and turned into a restaurant.  In
Cuba, I spotted an old station located behind the Tastee Freeze that
looked like it had been moved there from another location.  Does anyone
know who's station this was?  Regrettably, I have no pictures of it.
You can also see the Erie ROW alongside I-86 (Route 17) from Salamanca
to Friendship.  You can still see some of the poles standing with the
wires just hanging down off the cross arms.
On our return, we followed the Erie ROW from Corning through Gang Mills
to Addison along route 417 and from Addison to just south of Hornell
along route 119.  It is beautiful country...well worth the trip.
Again let me know if you want to see any of the photos.
Jon Liles
ELHS # 3158