RE: (erielack) O&W Revenue Equipment

>   The final disposition of the NYO&W motive power has been
> discussed here,
> but what about the fate of the Revenue equipment? What was
> really left on
> the property (that was worth anything) and did Erie or NYS&W
> acquire any of
> the Boxcars, Hoppers or other rolling stock? Including MOW
> equipment for
> that matter.

The "Trackside with Bob Malinoski" Morning Sun Book has excellent shots of the FT's *and* O&W wood cabooses stored in Croxton. By 1957, I don't think the O&W had *any* revenue rolling stock left (correct me if I'm wrong here!)

>    I am sure by 1957 the O&W had shed itself of most of it's dormant
> equipment. I have never seen a photo of an O&W steel boxcar!
> Did they even
> own one?

I don't think so; I believe they only had wooden boxcars...

> What kind of NYO&W  rolling stock would you spot in
> an Erie freight
> consist say 1950's era?

I'd be willing to bet "nothing."

>    It must of come as quite a shock to see a large system like the O&W
> disappear in the middle of the web of active railroads. It
> was the first of
> many to fall, it's still going on as we type!

It wasn't really too much of a shock, I suppose, since the railroad ran through nowhere, connecting the "mighty" (ha ha) port of Oswego. If you go back and hike this area today, it's STILL out in the middle of nowhere.

The Erie/DL&W ran through much more populous and industrial areas, which is why they survived. The only other road in the area to be totally abandoned was the L&NE, and that's because they saw the handwriting on the wall for coal traffic.

	- Paul