RE: (erielack) O&W Revenue Equipment

- --- "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:
> >   The final disposition of the NYO&W motive power has been discussed
> > here, but what about the fate of the Revenue equipment? What was
> > really left on the property (that was worth anything) and did Erie or
> > NYS&W acquire any of the Boxcars, Hoppers or other rolling stock?
> > Including MOW equipment for that matter.

> The "Trackside with Bob Malinoski" Morning Sun Book has excellent shots
> of the FT's *and* O&W wood cabooses stored in Croxton. By 1957, I don't
> think the O&W had *any* revenue rolling stock left (correct me if I'm
> wrong here!)

Paul Lubalin's IN COLOR book also has photos of the FT's at Croxton.

> > I am sure by 1957 the O&W had shed itself of most of it's dormant
> > equipment. I have never seen a photo of an O&W steel boxcar!
> > Did they even own one?
>
> I don't think so; I believe they only had wooden boxcars...

That was one of the O&W's weaknesses; they had to pay demurrage for every
car they moved.  I think that went back into the 1930's, maybe earlier.

> > What kind of NYO&W  rolling stock would you spot in
> > an Erie freight consist say 1950's era?
>
> I'd be willing to bet "nothing."

Agreed.

> > It must of come as quite a shock to see a large system like the O&W
> > disappear in the middle of the web of active railroads. It
> > was the first of many to fall, it's still going on as we type!
>
> It wasn't really too much of a shock, I suppose, since the railroad ran
> through nowhere, connecting the "mighty" (ha ha) port of Oswego. If you
> nowhere.

Many saw it coming; the road had been bankrupt for at least 20 years.

> The Erie/DL&W ran through much more populous and industrial areas, which
> is why they survived. The only other road in the area to be totally
> abandoned was the L&NE, and that's because they saw the handwriting on
> the wall for coal traffic.

The L&NE also had lots of cement traffic; when that went to trucks in the
late 1950's they decided to liquidate while everything had value.  The
L&NE was SOLVENT when it closed.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7