Re: (erielack) saving things.

Its about like the Lehigh Valley unit out there that's never been repainted
or renumbered or anything since it was sold by the LV or CR in the 70's.
I'd sure like to find out who owns it, but have no way to travel 1000 miles
to where it is to ask around.  Or the last L&NE loco...   One could easily
get it if you were to swap the owners a decent loco in trade (hint: B23's
are cheap right now) and get some roller trucks under it, or get it on a
flatcar, to move (it's on CSX)... it might cost $25,000 though total to
return it to PA.  Which in the locomotive market is not a lot, but could be
someone's entire annual income too. It's a little high for a well worn S2
with thin wheels, but then again since it can't be interchanged it's liable
to wind up like the little Plymouth it replaced... shoved, maybe even run
out to the end of the line and forgotten to weather and vandals.  Or since
it's worth a couple grand scrap maybe they'd cut it up, who knows (if anyone
wants into this I can provide photos, directions, and even a contact who
lives not far from it).

The problem is someone has to be willing to spend the time and energy to
work their ass off on something like this.   Every time you need another
body, it's time to convince that person to join the cause.  Sometimes it's
easy to get others involved, but other times... I know a chapter that does
little with the equipment it has, and to get something new you'd have to
arrange the whole thing on your own so it just shows up on the doorstep one
day free and clear... one person has an issue with something, regardless of
the benefits, and nothing happens.  Other times it's getting a straight
story.  There is an Erie long distance heavyweight coach rotting in Utica -
I have seen and photographed the car - and I have heard at least 4 different
stories as to why it is stuck there - from old collision damage, to a
liability issue with the car that prevents it from being sold, to the WNY&P
got/is getting it (if they can get it moved), to Walter just not wanting to
part with it if for no other reason than it's a couple grand worth of scrap
steel sitting like money in the bank.  Meanwhile it rots to uselessness like
those O&W cars in Scranton.   How about a DL&W drop frame covered hopper?
One in PA on NS.  NS won't talk?  Susquehanna has one too, although the top
is removed and the hatches changed to be a ballast car.  I keep hearing they
want to scrap these cars...  This is only worth maybe $1000 scrap...   Which
is not a lot of money to try to raise.  It even has functional brakes and
roller-converted trucks, so you might get it back to your home base if not
in regular interchange then on a one-time shop move.  Better yet, this one
is of some use to a shortline who might both be better able to get it moved,
and might repaint it for you in exchange for their use of it.

(Hint:  a good aquisition for any historical group is a couple of decent
roller-truck flatcars... that can then be used to haul back other cars which
can't interchange for whatever reason).

But someone has to go out there and do the legwork, and it's not easy.. look
at the equipment in Bingo.. and as far as I know those folks weren't exactly
sleeping trying to get the stuff moved.  (The irony is the one piece that
could probably have interchanged, the RB-equipped EL caboose, is the one to
leave by truck).

Sidebar:

Does anyone know if the NYS&W still has the ex-LV(?), ex-CR caboose that was
used as an idler car for some industry down on the Jersey end?  I saw a shot
of it somewhere (I want to say it was a softcover photo book on the Southern
Tier) and want to get a confirmation of just where it is to pass on to a
group who wants an LV cab in the worst way.  I don't recall just where it
was, though.. (Or if someone knows where one is that's available and
cheap...) Seems like this customer had a small bridge that couldn't take the
weight of a locomotive, thus the need for the idler.  (might reply off list
since this is probably not very topical).

Bill K.